Last updated March 17, 2021
By using or accessing our Services in any manner, you acknowledge and accept this Privacy Notice, and you consent to our collection, use, and disclosure of your information as described below. If you do not agree with this Privacy Notice, do not use our Services.
When we say, “Personal Information,” we mean information that identifies, relates to, describes, references, is capable of being associated with, or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular individual consumer or device, such as:
- Identifiers (e.g., name, email address, username, password);
- Sensitive Personal Information (e.g., government ID, financial information, health information, religious or political convictions);
- Protected classification information (e.g., race, citizenship, marital status, medical condition, sex, sexual orientation, veteran or military status);
- Biometric information (e.g., voice, keystrokes, biological characteristics);
- Internet or other similar activity (e.g., geolocation, browsing history);
- Employment-related information (e.g., current or past employment);
- Non-public educational information; or
- Commercial information (e.g., products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming tendencies).
Personal Information does not include (i) publicly available information (ii) aggregated information, meaning data about a group or category of services or users from which individual identities and other Personal Information has been removed; or (iii) deidentified information that cannot be easily linked back to the individual.
COLLECTION & USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We only collect, use, retain, and share Personal Information as reasonably necessary and proportionate to provide the Services or for other purposes that we disclose to you and are compatible with the context of how we collected your Personal Information.
Categories of Personal Information
During the preceding 12 months, we have knowingly collected these categories of Personal Information:
- Employment-related information
- Commercial information
- Internet activity
Sources of Collection
We collect Personal Information from the following sources and use that information as described below:
- Directly from you when you sign up for Future Letter, with your consent. When you sign up for Future Letter, we will collect your name, email address, and a password. We collect this information with your consent, and we use it to create and administer your account and to provide you with the Services.
- Directly from you when you answer questions to draft a Future Letter, with your consent. You draft aFuture Letter by answering a series of questions related to your career, interests, goals, and outlook. You choose which questions to answer, and any Personal Information you choose to include in those answers is provided by you voluntarily and with your consent. For example, you may provide information about your job or commercial activities as part of your answer. We collect your answers with your consent and use the information to draft your Future Letter. Note that if you choose to share an answer with another user, any Personal Information you included in the answer will be visible to that user, and possibly to others if that user shares or copies the answer.
- From other Future Letter users and third parties, with a legitimate interest. If a current Future Letter user invites you or recommends you for Future Letter, we will collect your name and email address from that user to send you an invitation email. You can unsubscribe from these emails at any time. In addition, social media platforms that you link to your Future Letter account, analytics companies, and other third parties may provide us with Personal Information about you that is publicly available or related to your internet or similar activities across different websites, apps, and other online services. We collect and use this information for our legitimate interests of reaching new users and developing new features for our Services.
In addition to the specific uses described above,Future Letter might also use your Personal Information to:
- Provide, maintain, and improve our Services, or send you support messages.
- Protect your privacy, enforce this Privacy Notice, or monitor your compliance with any of your agreements with us.
- Detect, investigate, and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities and protect the rights and property of Company and others.
- If we believe it is necessary, to identify, contact, or bring legal action against persons who may be causing injury to you, to us, or to others.
- Comply with a law, regulation, legal process, or court order.
- Fulfill any other purpose to which you consent.
We will update this Privacy Notice or otherwise notify you before we collect additional categories of Personal Information from consumers or use such Personal Information for purposes that are incompatible with the purpose stated at the time of collection.
Future Letter is designed for users age 16 and older. We do not knowingly collect Personal Information from children under 16. If we discover that a child under 16 has provided us with Personal Information, we will delete such information from our systems. If you believe we might have any information collected online from a child under 16, or if you become aware of any unauthorized submission of information to us, please contact us at dream(at)futureletter.com or 1 (307) 215-0330.
Cookies are small text files downloaded and stored on your device when you visit a website or other platform. Cookies can be recognized by the website that downloaded them — or other websites that use the same cookies. Cookies are generally used for functionality, security, analytics, or advertising purposes. Some cookies are strictly necessary to the function of the website or other platform, while others enable certain features.
Cookies We Use
Future Letter uses Google Analytics cookies to track and analyze content use, web traffic, and your Future Letter sessions. This data may contain or be linked with your Personal Information. We use this data to analyze trends, track user movements around the website, and administer our Services.
Third Party Cookies
If you link your Future Letter account with your account on a third-party platform, that platform provider may set cookies or other tracking technologies on our website to collect information about your use of the Services. The information they collect may be associated with your Personal Information, including your internet or similar activities across different online platforms. These third parties may use this information to provide you with interest-based (behavioral) advertising or other targeted content according to such third parties’ privacy policies. We do not control these third parties’ tracking technologies or how they may be used. If you have any questions about an advertisement or other targeted content, you should contact the responsible provider directly.
Controlling Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies
RETENTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Future Letter retains your Personal Information for the period necessary to provide you with the Services you request. If you contact us for information or support, we will retain the information you provide for the necessary length of time to respond to your inquiry. We retain your account information and all other information about you until you ask us to remove or delete it by submitting a Consumer Privacy Request.
DISCLOSING PERSONAL INFORMATION
In the preceding 12 months, Future Letter has disclosed all categories of Personal Information that we collected for a business purpose.
Future Letter may disclose Personal Information to the recipients described below, or to other recipients with your permission or as required by law.
- Service Providers: Future Letter uses a variety of service providers such as data hosting companies, analytics services, email hosting services, and payment processors. The type of information that we share with a service provider will depend on the service that they provide to us. Our service providers are subject to contractual agreements that protect your Personal Information, and we require all service providers to maintain confidentiality standards that are commercially reasonable to ensure the security of your Personal Information.
- Affiliated Organizations. If you are a member of an entrepreneur peer group or other organization that is affiliated with Future Letter, we may share information you submit via your Future Letter account, including Personal Information, with that organization. Future Letter shares this information to enable the organization to provide you with membership services associated with your use of Future Letter.
- Government Agencies: Occasionally we may be required to provide Personal Information to governmental authorities. We fully cooperate with law enforcement in identifying those who use our Services for illegal activities. Future Letter reserves the right to disclose Personal Information to law enforcement and other governmental agencies, at our sole discretion in connection with an investigation of any matter that is illegal or that could expose us or our affiliates to liability.
- Third Parties: Under specific circumstances, we may disclose Personal Information to certain third parties as permitted by applicable law, for example: if we go through a business transition (e.g., merger, acquisition, or asset sale); to comply with a legal requirement or a court order; when we believe it is appropriate to take action regarding illegal activities or prevent fraud or harm to any person; to exercise or defend our legal claims; or for any other reason with your consent.
Aggregated and Deidentified Information
We reserve the right to disclose aggregated, anonymized, or deidentified information about any individuals with affiliated or nonaffiliated entities for marketing, advertising, research, or other purposes, without restriction. For example, we may share reports showing trends about the general use of our Services without identifying an individual.
YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS
You can use the methods described below to control how we collect and use your Personal Information:
- Customer Accounts: You can control certain privacy settings by signing into your Future Letter account and editing information or changing your selections. Specifically, you can change or delete the Personal Information in your account profile at any time. You also have the option to control whether and how your Personal Information may be shared with third parties. To delete all of your Personal Information on Future Letter, you must submit a Consumer Privacy Request to have your information deleted from our systems.
- Email Communications: We may send you informational or marketing emails related to the Services. If you do not wish to receive these emails, you may change your preferences via the links provided in the emails or by sending a request to dream(at)futureletter.com to be removed from our email list. Note that if you opt-out of marketing communications, we may still send you informational communications about your use of the Services.
- Texting Consent: If you provide us with your wireless phone number, you consent to Future Letter sending you informational or service text messages. However, we will only send you marketing text messages if you opt-in to receive these notifications from us. For all Future Letter text messages, the number of texts you receive will depend on the Services you use and the information you request from us. You can unsubscribe from Future Letter text messages by replying STOP or UNSUBSCRIBE to any of these text messages. Messaging and data charges may apply to any text message you receive or send.
- Do Not Track:Do Not Track signals are signals sent through a browser informing us that you do not want to be tracked. Currently, our systems do not recognize browser “do-not-track” requests.
Depending on where you reside, you may have additional privacy rights or be entitled to additional controls over your Personal Information. Please see our supplemental notices specific to residents of California and the European Union.
Consumer Privacy Requests
If you wish to exercise your privacy rights beyond the methods available through the Platform, or if you want to express concerns, lodge a complaint, or request information, please submit a verifiable Consumer Privacy Request using our online Consumer Privacy Request form or by sending an email to dream(at)futureletter.com.
We endeavor to respond to Consumer Privacy Requests in accordance with the requirements of the law applicable to your jurisdiction. Future Letter can only fulfill a Consumer Privacy Request when we have sufficient information to verify that the requester is the person or an authorized representative of the person about whom we have collected Personal Information, and to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to the request. Depending on the circumstances and the nature of your request, we may be unable to fulfill your request in part or in whole, for example, if your request falls within a statutory exception or if fulfilling your request would prevent us from complying with a statutory or contractual obligation. We do not charge a fee to process or respond to a verifiable request unless we have legal grounds to do so. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
This section provides residents of the State of California (“California Consumers”) with the disclosures and notices required under the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”). California Consumers may exercise the following rights over their Personal Information, subject to any exceptions and limitations that may apply:
- Right to Know:You have the right to request that we disclose information to you about our collection and use of your Personal Information, such as: (i) the categories of Personal Information we have collected about you; (ii) the categories of sources for the Personal Information we have collected about you; (iii) our business or commercial purpose for collecting, selling or sharing your Personal Information; (iv) the categories of third parties with whom we disclose your Personal Information; and (v) a list of specific pieces of Personal Information we have collected about you. If a business sells or shares your Personal Information, you also You also have the right to ask the company to disclose the categories of your Personal Information sold or shared and the categories of third parties to whom that Personal information was sold or shared, as well as the categories of Personal information disclosed for a business purpose and the categories of recipients of that information. Future Letter is only required to respond to two disclosure requests from you within a 12-month period.
- Right to Access. You have the right to request that we provide you with access to specific pieces of Personal Information we have collected about you over the past 12 months (also called a data portability request). If you submit a right to access request, we will provide you with copies of the requested Personal Information in a portable and readily usable format. Please note that Future Letter may be prohibited by law from disclosing copies of certain Personal Information when the disclosure would create a substantial, articulable, and unreasonable risk to the security of the information, our systems, or your account. We are only required by law to respond to two access requests from you within a 12-month period.
- Right to Correct. If you discover that we maintain inaccurate Personal Information about you, or if your Personal Information changes, please inform us and we will update our records to reflect the correct information.
- Right to Deletion. You have the right to request that we delete Personal Information that we collected from you and retained, with certain exceptions. Future Letter may permanently delete, deidentify, or aggregate the Personal Information in response to a request for deletion. If you submit a right to deletion request, we will confirm the Personal Information to be deleted prior to its deletion, and we will notify you when your request is complete.
- No Selling or Sharing Personal Information. Future Letter does not sell your Personal Information or share your Personal Information with third parties for cross-contextual behavioral advertising purposes. If this changes in the future, we will update this Privacy Notice and provide you with a method to opt-out of such sale and sharing.
- Limited Use and Disclosure of Sensitive Personal Information. Future Letter does not seek to collect sensitive Personal Information from any consumer. However, we have no control over whether a user chooses to include sensitive Personal Information in an answer to a question or otherwise submit that information via the Services. If a user submits Sensitive Personal Information to us through any means, we will not use or disclose Sensitive Personal Information for the purpose of inferring characteristics about any consumer. If this ever changes in the future, we will update this Privacy Notice and provide you with methods to limit use and disclosure of Sensitive Personal Information.
- Right to Nondiscrimination. We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights. Unless permitted by law, we will not: (i) deny you goods or services; (ii) charge you different prices or rates for goods or services; (iii) provide you a different level or quality of goods or services; or (iv) suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services, because you exercised a right under the CCPA.
- Right to Disclosure of Marketing Information. Under California’s Shine the Light Act, California Consumers are entitled to request certain disclosures about Personal Information sharing with affiliates and/or third parties for marketing purposes. Please contact us if you wish to obtain these disclosures.
California Consumers may exercise these rights over their Personal Information by submitting a verifiable Consumer Privacy Request, subject to any exceptions and limitations that may apply. We endeavor to respond to Consumer Privacy Requests from EU Residents within 45 days of receipt. If we cannot comply with part or all of your request, we will explain the reasons in our response.
EUROPEAN UNION PRIVACY RIGHTS
This section provides residents of the European Union (“EU Residents”) with the disclosures and notices required under the European Union’s General Data Protection Regulations (“GDPR”). We provide the Services to EU Residents as a data controller. If you are an EU Resident, you have the following rights in relation to Personal Information we hold about you:
- Right to know how we process your Personal Information. We have set the required notices in this Privacy Notice. We may provide you with additional notices about other ways we process your Personal Information, such as by sending you a notice via email or by other means.
- Right to access your Personal Information. You can request to access your Personal Information. Upon request, we will provide you with a copy of your Personal Information, along with details about the types of Personal Information we process, why we process it, and any third parties we work with to collect Personal Information on our behalf. We may have one or more legally valid reasons to refuse your request in whole or in part, for example in order to protect the rights of other individuals.
- Right to restrict processing of your Personal Information. You can request that we restrict the processing of your Personal Information if (i) the data is inaccurate, (ii) the processing is unlawful, (iii) we no longer need the Personal Information, or (iv) you exercise your right to object.
- Right to rectify your Personal Information. If you become aware that the Personal Information that we hold about you is incorrect, or if your situation changes (e.g., change of address), please inform us and we will update our records.
- Right to data portability. In some circumstances, we are required to provide your Personal Information to another organization at your request and in a structured, commonly used machine-readable format, so that the other organization can read and use it.
- Right to erasure (a.k.a. the “right to be forgotten”). Upon your request, and in certain circumstances and where we are required to do so by law, we are required to delete your Personal Information. This right is not absolute, and we may be entitled to retain and process your Personal Information despite your request. If you make this request, we balance certain legal, contractual, and business interests against your right to request the deletion of your Personal Information.
- Right to object to certain processing of your Personal Information. Upon your request, and in certain circumstances and where we are required to do so by law, we will limit our processing of your Personal Information as you request.
- Right to not be subject to Automated Decision-Making (“ADM”). Future Letter may use ADM for certain features of the Services, such as matching users to recommend connections based on shared interests. Future Letter will never use ADM where the decision produces legal effects concerning you or otherwise significantly affects you. If this changes in the future, we will update this Privacy Notice and provide you with an option to obtain human intervention in the decision making and ensure measures are in place to allow you to express your point of view or contest the automated decision.
EU Residents may exercise these rights over their Personal Information by submitting a verifiable Consumer Privacy Request, subject to any exceptions and limitations that may apply. We endeavor to respond to Consumer Privacy Requests from EU Residents within 30 days of receipt. If we cannot comply with part or all of your request, we will explain the reasons in our response.
We implement reasonable and appropriate security procedures and practices to help protect your Personal Information from unauthorized or illegal access, destruction, use, modification, or disclosure. We maintain internal policies to govern the collection, processing, access, and handling of data. All data is encrypted and stored on our secure database hosted by Microsoft Azure. Any payment transactions are processed on a PCI-compliant third-party application. Future Letter employees responsible for handling user inquiries are informed of applicable privacy law requirements. Please note, however, that no transmission of data over the Internet or mobile platforms is 100% secure, and we cannot guarantee that unauthorized third parties will not defeat our security measures or use your Personal Information for improper purposes.
When you sign up to use Future Letter, you will have a login and password. We encourage you to take steps to protect against unauthorized access to your password and device by, among other things, signing off after using a shared device, choosing a robust password that nobody else knows or can easily guess, and keeping your password private. We are not responsible for any lost, stolen, or compromised passwords, or for any activity on your profile via unauthorized activity.
CONSENT TO DATA TRANSFERS
Future Letter is owned and operated in the United States. If you use the Services from outside of the United States, Personal Information we collect about you will be transferred to our servers in the United States and maintained there indefinitely. This may require the transfer of your Personal Information out of your country of origin with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from or be more restrictive than U.S. law, or may result in governments, courts, law enforcement or agencies having access to or obtaining disclosure of your Personal Information pursuant to the laws of the applicable foreign jurisdiction. We do not warrant that Future Letter is appropriate or authorized for use in any other jurisdictions. Customers are solely responsible for determining whether their use of the Services complies with applicable laws. By allowing us to collect Personal Information about you, you consent to the transfer and processing of your Personal Information as described in this paragraph.
THIRD PARTY WEBSITES
The Services may contain links to websites owned or operated by third parties. We have no ability to control, and we are not responsible for, the privacy and data collection, use, and disclosure practices of third-party websites. We encourage you to read the privacy statements of each website that collects your Personal Information.
CHANGES TO THIS PRIVACY NOTICE
We may periodically update this Privacy Notice. If we make any material changes, we will notify you by updating this posting. The date that this Privacy Notice was last revised is identified at the top of the page. Your continued use of the Services after the effective date will be subject to the new Privacy Notice. You are responsible for periodically checking this Privacy Notice for changes.
If you have questions about our privacy practices or would like to make a complaint, please contact us at dream(at)futureletter.com or by phone at 1 (307) 215-0330.